I first met Kyle at a lunch while attending WordCamp US 2015 and had a chance to catch up with him again at WordCamp Chicago this past weekend.
WP Round Table just reached their milestone 100th episode and I was thrilled to be the guest for episode 101. Technically, this was episode 101.1 because we had some technical difficulties the first time around which turned the show into an improvised monologue I’m thinking of turning into a one-man show.
Technical difficulties resolved, we started over and had a great conversation about WordPress, work, podcasts, and life as a WordPress professional.
Here’s what we talked about:
- WordCamp St. Louis: Automating WordPress Plugin Development with Gulp
- My failed plan to be a rock star
- Moving from networking to web programming to ASP.Net to WordPress
- Challenges of working with small clients and transition to working with other agencies
- Why I went full time with Rainmaker Digital
- Finding a good fit when working for someone else and when to venture out on your own
- The importance of networking with other WordPress professionals to find work
- The three things that make a workday great and fighting impostor syndrome
- What Rainmaker Digital does and the benefits of the Rainmaker Platform
- Why WordCamps are great for meeting people and being with friends
- How Rainmaker Digital is maturing and optimizing its development process
- The Typehammer Writing & Technology Podcast
- My goals and plans for the future
- My podcast addiction
- My favorite WordPress podcasts
- What’s next!